Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 9-Highs & Lows

I just got back from my doctors appointment to check-up on the status of my drains. Though they are not draining much, around 10-15ml each a day, he still wants to leave them in as long as possible. I'm going back to work on Monday, so we agreed that first thing Monday morning we could finally remove them. I'm a bit nervous at the thought of having them taken out, but one of the nurses assured me it will be a quick process that won't hurt me too much...plus, it will be such a relief to feel human again & not have to get clever in hiding them under baggy clothes.

Overall, he thought I was progressing nicely & that my swelling was improving. My stomach doesn't feel as rock-hard where the swelling is, it's starting to feel softer & tingly/numb. I had asked him again about the swelling & the "crater" that's engulfed. He said that he made a decision when he was completing my surgery that he was confident that the possibility of the crater being there was quite low. He then went on to mention that if it still remains in 6 months that he would do a second surgery that would require a vertical scar from my chest down to my current tummy tuck incision. This is all because of the amount of my excess skin. I've been doing my best to remain positive that this was all just swelling & that it would go away. It broke me to pieces to hear that there was a possibility that it could remain this way & require an incision that I was really wanting to avoid. He did say that he was still confident that it would go away on it's own. I was thinking that at this point I would be itching to get out and buy new clothes & start feeling better, maybe I just need more time to let my disappointment pass.

To finish on a positive note, I'm feeling really good, well, better than in the first week that is! I'm looking forward to the next few weeks passing by & to getting back to normal. I'm starting to get some color back in my skin too! I was looking like death & the nurses at the doctors office always were quite surprised with how pail I was. I think I'll plan something to get positive & maybe go for a little clothes shopping next weekend for my birthday. Even if I'm not at my flattest, a new top or two would feel nice about now.

I'll take some pictures tonight as the swelling is actually going down some. I'm so grateful to every person who has posted & made these days healing at home so much better! I'm shocked that almost 600 viewers have stopped by! I hope that the blog helps provide the insight that I was looking for when I was preparing for my surgery.

Happy weekend!
K

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for doing such a GREAT job posting! I think you look amazing! Only 9 days out? Look at your beautiful hour glass waist right there to see! You're being such a trooper through all of this. I had tiny laparoscopic surgery back in August when I had my ovaries out, and was laid up for three weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda,

    Thanks so much!!! I'm feeling much better after my small pity party & a great inspirational talk from my great guy & reading your comment. I am already starting to feel more "womanly" & noticing small changes already that are making me feel great. I'm confident that I'll feel great as soon as I can stand up straight & reduce a little more swelling.

    I have a whole new appreciation for people who undergo surgery!! I hope you're recovered & feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete