Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 5-Draining

I had read that Day 5 is the day where you start to feel human again. I can safely say that Day 5 was a day of more energy, mobility, and just feeling overall better. I managed to shower all by myself, I ate a bit more, and I was getting up and down with more ease. I did take 2 hour naps at a time, but when I forced myself up, I felt awake & like I could go for a walk. I'm excited for the days ahead!

Below are images of the draining process. You've been warned that they are not pleasant to look at & I do not recommend that you look at them before eating. I'm still draining dark blood, but it should be getting lighter & become more inside liquidy swelling drainage stuff soon. I'm draining less and less each day. In the beginning I would drain 3-4 times a day with 30-45 ml of drainage in each tube every time I emptied them. I only emptied them bulbs today with about 20 ml of fluid in each. I'm hoping this means that the bulbs & tubes will come out soon & that the swelling will keep going down.

Here is my set-up. I begin by straining out the excess liquid from the tubes in to the bulbs. I think lift the plug on the bulb & empty the contents in to the cup to get an exact measurement.
I've had a bit of clotting in my bulbs, which makes it hard to get everything out of the bulbs. It's been getting better each day. Once I finish emptying the liquid, I squeeze the bulb to help create suction & close the tab again. Repeat with the second drain and empty the liquid to the toilet.
I then record the date, time and amount of liquid I drained from each bulb. I have to specify if it came from the right side of left side & if there was anything irregular. The first few days the left side was draining way more than the right, then the right was more than the left, and now they are about even. So that's Day 5! Tomorrow I have another follow-up appointment with my doctor. I hope he'll give me a better idea of when I can see better results. I'm also in desperate need of a new binder, or a spare, because mine is looking a little gross these days.

I look forward to tomorrow & hope to have some new improvements to post!

k

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to see that you are slowly but surely getting better! I am sure that once I reach my weight loss goals, I will need a tummy tuck as well. I have had three c-sections and have been cut in both directions. Toning just won't cut it for me. I love watching your progress, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete